The application process for the Greek Residency Program is straightforward and should take about 1-2 months. The general steps are as follows:
- Apply for entry visa through Greek Consulate in your home country.
- Visit Greece to select your property of choice and open a bank account.
- Obtain health certificate from a Greek medical professional.
- Make an investment of at least €250,000 in Greek real estate prior to application.
- Apply once you have the entry visa, proof of real estate investment and health certificate secured.
The cost for application is €500 and can include your spouse, parents, and any unmarried children under 21 for no additional cost. There are also applicable legal and advisory fees, which we will go through prior to starting the application process.
Application Requirements for the Family Members
- Valid insurance contracts proving that each family member has full coverage for health care and hospitalization for the entire duration of their stay in Greece.
- Recent certificate from foreign authorities certifying the familiar relationship.
Your family members’ residence permits are directly linked to your permit, as the investor. If your residence permit expires, your family members’ permits will too.
Your children are issued residence permits that are valid until they are 21 years old. After that, they can request a renewal for an independent residence permit until they are 24, after which point they can apply to renew again according to applicable immigration laws.
Required List of General Documents
- Two copies of the application document
- Two recent color photos
- Certified copy of a valid passport or travel documents recognized by Greece and including the relevant valid entry visa, when required
- Health certificate issued by a Greek hospital or valid health certificate issued in your home country
- Medical insurance provided by a Greek insurance company or a foreign firm with international coverage
- Current family status certificate from valid foreign authorities which certifies the familiar relationship
- €500 fee paid and obtained through the “e-paravolo” platform
Depending on the specific case, the following additional documentation may be required:
- Contract of property purchase
- Notarized copy of the lease for hotel accommodations or furnished tourist residences
- Proof of title transfer from the land registry where the relevant lease contract has been transferred
- Contract for the purchase of the plot of land or acreage
- Contract with the construction company for the erection/restoration of the residence
- Building permit in the name of the applicant
- Contract for the timeshare for at least ten years duration
Translation and Certification Requirements
All of the documents required for the residence permit application must be submitted in Greek, except for the documents issued by foreign authorities, which need to be certified. There are two forms of certification:
- The Apostille stamp - for countries that are parties to the Hague Convention.
- Certification by the Consular - for countries that are not parties to the Hague Convention, a certification by the Greek consular in the country of origin of the document is required.
The translation of foreign public documents can be done by either of the below:
- The Translation Service of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- A lawyer who is a member of Greek Bar association, with a certification of their signature by the Bar Association
Conditions of Residence
Once your application is approved, you receive a residence permit for 5 years. This permit can be renewed indefinitely as long as you:
- Maintain full ownership of the original investment property
- Maintain the relevant leases/timeshares/contracts for the original investment property
- Maintain clean criminal record in Greece and your home country
- Residents and their applicable family members must have insurance that covers their healthcare and medical care expenses while in Greece.
- Residents and their applicable family members cannot seek employment in the Greek labor force, but can start their own businesses and work within those enterprises, or make investments.
- If you sell your real estate to another non-EU resident in the future, they can then apply for a residence permit.Applicants who choose not to live or spend time in Greece can still maintain and renew their residence permits so long as they hold their investment property.